The Harlan Family in America Association was formed in 1987 in conjunction with a national family reunion held in Delaware, to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the immigration of George and Michael Harlan. The purpose of the organization is to document and perpetuate the history and genealogy of the family.
The primary activity of the family is the annual publication of a newsletter called the Harlan Record. The newsletter serves as the means for communicating information about Harlan history and Harlan family members and Harlan family activities. The Record also publishes inquiries for those doing research on their Harlan heritage.
Membership in the family organization is free but we encourage those
who can afford to do so to
send a yearly contribution. Please send your contribution to John Harlan, Treasurer, 422 Aumond RD, August GA 30909. If you would like to have your name added to our mailing list, please send your name and mailing address to: email@example.com
The official Harlan archives are kept at the Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, Pennsylvania. Here our descendents will be able to find copies of materials from the national reunions held in 1987 and 1997. Copies of the Harlan Record are also on file here.
THE MISSION OF THE HARLAN FAMILY IN AMERICA 1998
Our family heritage organization exists for two comprehensive reasons. One is philosophical. The other is operational.
Throughout human history, the single most powerful force for our welfare, protection and happiness has been, simply, the Family.
The influence of the human family has been unfortunately illustrated by the cascading social and human behavior problems of our 20th Century. Sadly, these problems are directly proportional to the massive increase in the number of dysfunctional American families.
Therefore an important purpose of the Harlan Family in America is to project and communicate, by our example, the importance and benefits of the human family to the human experience. Our goal is to define the character, values, heritage and traditions of the generations of families in America bearing the names of Harlan, Harland, Harlin and Harlen.
We will accomplish this by continuing to develop the bonds of our own
extended Harlan Family throughout America and wherever Harlans may be living
in other countries. In so doing, we will demonstrate the pride, the sense
of belonging, and the security that flows from being, simply, a member
of the family that cares about its own.
II. SPECIFIC ORGANIZATIONAL OBJECTIVES
As our family heritage organization continues to mature, our specific “operational” objectives will of course be subject to change. At this time in our development, the following are the essential areas on which we will focus:
• Continue to identify new Harlan Family members, descendants of George, Michael and Thomas, and those Harlans whose surnames have changed with marriage. Our task is to let them know of our Harlan Family Organization that is available to them, and to encourage them to join;
• Continue to build strength and interest among our members by frequently communicating information about the Family, its current activities and plans, its history and heritage with all available means: local, national and regional reunions; newsletters and other direct mail; website, etc., and encourage communication among individual family members;
• Continue to develop genealogical resources and knowledge to identify our history and heritage both in America and in Britain, and to discover and preserve—via historians and genealogists—history, documents, memorabilia and records;
• Identify and preserve Harlan historical sites which have influenced our Family, in our country and abroad, such as the Harlan–Lincoln Home, the Delaware Landing Site, the Brandywine Area, and Harlan sites in England and Ireland, and promote family gatherings and travel to these sites;
• Maintain a strong and efficient organization with an adequate and sound financial base and a repository for Family information, and have regular meetings and communication among Board Members and all other Harlans involved;
• Create and foster all other activities that will enable members of the Harlan Family to be good, responsible and productive citizens of this land.
HARLAN FAMILY IN AMERICA OFFICERS
For additional information not included on this web site please contact Tom and Marylee Harlan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of the tour group entering
St.Peter's Monkwearmouth Churh
|Contact Ashton-Drye Associates,
Inc. for more information:
95 Squire Place
Orchard Park, New York 14127